Monday, December 3, 2007

Spanish Dim Sum in Kuala Lumpur?

My daytime job requires me to visit Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia several times per year. The city has terrific Malay, Thai, Indian, and of course Chinese cuisine but I was really pleased when I discovered a restaurant in the Bangsar neighborhood called La Bodega Tapas Y Vinos. You might be asking yourself "How good could a Spanish restaurant in South East Asia be?" Well, I asked the same question and knew I had to try it to find the answer. Suffice it to say I make a point to go there at least once every time I visit the city.

I sat at the bar and ordered a bottle of vino and 5 or 6 different tapas including a Spanish cheese drizzled with an apricot glaze, lightly fried sardines, lamb chops, and a pate that was so creamy it was like butter. I've never had a dish I didn't love and the wait staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable and as with most restaurants in Bangsar it doesn't get crowded until around 10PM. So if you want to go for people watching be prepared for a late dinner.

Another good place for food of love from the Mediterranean is Moussandra. This restaurant is on the mezzinine floor of the KL Plaza on Bukit Bintang, near the JW Marriott Hotel. You can enter from inside the Mall but it is very difficult to find that way for some reason. I would enter from the street instead. Moussandra has a tiny but comfortable dining room with a small patio. The menu is a mix of Spanish and Greek and they have a nice wine selection.

On one of my trips I introduced a Korean friend of mine to the world of Tapas. The next day I heard her telling a Chinese colleague how we had eaten at a "Spanish Dim Sum" restaurant. I had to laugh but I guess from her perspective that is a very accurate description of Tapas in South East Asia.

1 comment:

Cece said...

That korean friend is me, cece :) It was truely awesome to have Spanish tapas in a tropical city KL. Hope to go there again.... Good job, Eric.